Tuesday, December 4, 2007

One Step Closer To Fine

It's that time of the semester - the last week of classes. Whether they're a student or faculty member, everybody is tired.

The students in my Student-Managed Investment Fund gave their end-of-semester presentation to the Board that oversees the fund. In addition to the Board members, there were a lot of heavy hitters there: Unknown University's VP of Advancement (that's what we call the guy who is in charge of hitting up the alumni for money), the head of the Alumni Association, two Associate Deans of the college, and (of course) the Dean. So, it was a high visibility event.

The students nailed it. Everyone was impressed. They exceeded every one's expectations, and they made some very nice connections -the Board has some venture capitalists, a couple of hedge fund managers, and some big-time analysts on it. With luck, they'll be able to put some of the students in touch with some very nice contacts.

So, that's one more thing I can cross off my plate for the month.

Now all I have to worry about is:
  • The exam I'm giving Thursday that I've yet to write (that's tomorrow's work in a nutshell)
  • The three revise-and-resubmits that I've got to get out
  • The rewrite of another paper that got thrashed at a journal recently - we've spent the last two months retooling it.
  • The final exam I give in a week or so.
  • The 15 investment analysis projects sitting on my desk that have to be graded by Friday.
But the good news is that there's only 10 days left until my last exam is done, done, done!